Re: [TCML] Spark gaps, Solid state switches and diodes

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Hiscock wrote:
or am I missing something? - this would seem worse than the conventional gap - but everyone seems to rave about the performance of SISG and DRSSTC coils.
The performance of an SISG or any solid state design as far as I'm aware has "not" out-performed a classic spark gap design. However, because classic spark gaps can range from extreme to moderate losses (thermal and otherwise by design), the solid state gap may provide a more "stable" window of losses. I think for the most part, and I'm not sure everyone has thought about this, but the SISG type of design ensures some stability of losses (that won't go extremely high like in some static gap designs).

However, static gaps can be built very robust and low loss, but not every gap is right for every coil (which is yet another issue). So coilers can only build static gaps to the best of their ability and from the designs others have had success with. SISG's however, you know what your getting. And that's the real difference in my mind.

Regards,
Bart