Re: [TCML] Terry Filter Resistors

Hi Phil,

Don't be amazed. It's far more fun to reinvent the wheel. Happens to smartest of people. Funny, the senior 20 year top CE at work did something similar in a mechanical design. Imagine a set screw (1/2"D x 1.5"L) with a jam nut on the end. To keep a long story short, he pretty much reinvented the "bolt" since the set screw always ended up flush to the nut (no need for distance variation as one would assume in such a design). I still get a chuckle every time I think of it (and yes, engineering replaced the set screw and nut with a "bolt"). This sort of thing happens all the time in every aspect of engineering. Why should we be any different?

Actually, the measurement was odd. I might expect a 1/2W carbon resistor to freak out the LCR, but a dimension like 0.75" x 6", I would have expected a decent reading. Gary was wise enough to see the forest for the trees. Someone like me looking at a wire wound resistor inductance for the first time needs someone like Gary to point out the oddity. Matt helped with separating the R from the L. Then Terry listed Nichrome as material used. Those bits of data all put the pieces of the puzzle together. And finally, Shaun called Ohmite and retrieved the inductances. All makes sense now.

Peering at the archives would have shown a low L statement. But the question to why would still have lingered and maybe without an answer. So, although the archives are great, there's nothing as good as a fresh discussion. That's sort of been my take on the archives. I like them as their good for data, but not everything to be discovered is there, and sometimes, hands-on discussions, even if old, are far more helpful.

Take care,
Bart

FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx wrote:
It amazes me how nobody here seems to check the archives first:
_http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2008/Aug/msg00413.html_ (http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2008/Aug/msg00413.html) <snip>