Re: [TCML] Terry Filter Resistors

In a message dated 1/28/09 2:52:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mddeming@xxxxxxx writes:

>I  think part of the problem is that most LC meters don't measure Inductance
 directly. They actually >measure the Z of the device and assume Z=XL, and
therefore L=Z/2pif, which for most inductors is >close enough. For a
wire-wound resistor though, this is not a good approximation, since actually
>Z=sqrt(R^2+XL^2), and R is no longer negligible. You could use the L?shown  by the
meter to >calculate what Z it actually read by Z=2pifL, then using  the known
resistance, calculate a corrected >XL? from XL=sqrt(Z^2-R^2)and  from that,
determine the corrected L by L=XL/2pif.

    This would call into question even using such a  meter on a high-turns
winding of any reasonable size, since it would  likely have significant DC
resistance. I would think that a modern meter would  be smart enough to take a
brief DC resistance reading for reference before it  went into "reactance mode".
Microprocessors are cheap...

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities