Re: R: [TCML] Quad Tube coils

Hi Vladi,

The Coronatron started out as a pair of mothballed commercial radio transmitters. They were stripped and morphed into a 15 kW VTTC (and ultimately as a magnifier) by Canadian coiler Rob Stephens in 1996-98. It used three BR1160 transmitting triodes in parallel, each rated at 5 kW each, and operated (mostly) in CW mode.

Following is a brief description from Rob in a post in 1998:

"I have cannibalized two RCA BTA-10K AM broadcast transmitters which
originally came outfitted with 5 of these RCA 5762 tubes each. A pair in push-pull as the modulator and three tubes paralleled for the RF final. My transmitters came with an English Electric Valve higher performance direct replacement of this old RCA tube which are rated at a
considerably higher 5 kW of plate dissipation.  I am using three of
these newer EEV BR1160 triodes in parallel in my Coronatron (hi-power
vac toob TC)."

Rob was working on using cathode switching to operate it in pulsed mode, but I don't know if he completed this, and his web site has been down for a couple of years now. However, some additional descriptions of the system can be found in the the Pupman archives. Search for postings by Rob in the following threads: "Coronatron update", "Stephens moved, Coronatron tests.", "A *Perfect* Tesla Coil", "RCA 5762/7C24 Tubes", and "Gas Properties and Gap Cooling".

The only picture I have with this system is of Rob holding a 1000W incandescent bulb in his mouth near the system operating in CW mode, with flame-like plasma coming off the filament. Rob estimated the near field level at about 200 kV/m in this shot. See:

http://www.capturedlightning.com/photos/HVStuff/UNCFESTR.JPG

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured

mazzilli vladimiro wrote:
"Speaking of high power VTTC"
BTW, I heared many times of "Coronatron" but I never seen neither a
photos nor a schematics.
Are there any guys that know something about?

Vladi