From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of bartb
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:09 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Still stuck at 36"

Hi John,

futuret@xxxxxxx wrote:
> By using a pressurized air gap, this should help reduce gap
> losses since pressurized air breaks down at a narrower gap setting
> than lower pressure air.  Also pressurized air should quench better
> than lower pressure air.<snip>
What you say is correct. For a given voltage, the pressurized gap would
need to have the electrodes closer together in order to breakdown at the
"same" voltage level of a non-pressurized gap. If the gap is set
properly under pressure with only the transformer prior to placing in
the coil, then theoretically the electrode spacing should be tighter
than the same gap without pressure. I wonder if anyone has checked the
spacing of a pressurized gap against the same gap without pressure (but
with air flowing) and what the change in spacing was? Just curious on
how much of change in pressure was realized.

Quenching and reduction of thermal losses would be the reason the gap
would perform well, but I also wonder about the gap setting. If set too
wide (for example set when not pressurized), then at pressure, the
breakdown voltage would be higher and this would certainly force a
higher energy bang (identical to increasing spacing on a non-pressurized
gap).

Take care,
Bart