RE: [TCML] Still stuck at 36"

Hello 'the frustrated',

I just wanted to add that, in my experience, it's rare to come across a secondary that is too large for the transformer to drive. For my first secondary, I used a 21AWG secondary that was 4" diameter by about 30" high. My primary coil was positioned right next to the secondary (about an inch or two) and was vertical. It was at an angle of about 75 degrees. I was using a 3KV 15mA NST with a 20nF (.02µF) tank capacitance. I didn't use a topload because the coil had too low a power to use the capacitance to its advantage. The streamers that the little transformer and HUGE secondary shot off were about eight inches in length. I was very proud about my first coil. It was tuned somewhere between the fifth and eighth turn, I believe. If coupling is good enough, any transformer can drive pretty much any secondary, as long as it is within reason!

Christopher