Re: [TCML] TAR

Hi Ed,

The black stuff in NST's isn't tar or pitch (organic), it's asphalt
(petroleum based), mixed with silica flower (powdered sand) to improve the
insulation, body and heat transfer. I suspect the NST factories use the  same asphalt
compound as roofers and mix in silica flower right before pouring.  I'd guess
that it would be poured at near 500 degrees to reduce the viscosity  enough to
saturate the coils.

Asphalt is easy enough to get, but I don't know about silica flour. I
suppose you could ball mill your own out of sand if you were so inclined.

You might try remelting the paraffin and holding the temp just above  melting
for a while to let the bubbles rise to the surface, and then letting it  cool
overnight in the oven.

Tony Greer

In a message dated 1/17/2009 9:28:55 P.M. Central  Standard Time,