Re: [TCML] stuck at 36"

b.jbohn@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
HI all
I found this capacitor and am wondering if they would be ok for mmc cap bank.
made by F-DYNE part#c-jd-15-200-1 it is avalible at tedss.com.There part# is2020006991
The price is reasonable.I think THANKS _______________________________________________
Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unfortunately, that's a polyester film capacitor. All film capacitors are not the same. As Gary mentioned, some dielectrics are much lossier than others under RF use. All F-Dyne film caps use a polyester dielectric system. Polyester caps tend to overheat, melt, and prematurely die in Tesla coil use. Ideally, you want to use low loss polypropylene film-foil snubber capacitors. Some of these include the following types:

Cornell-Dubilier Type 942C Film/Foil
Panasonic ECW-H type
WIMA FKP1

There are others that may work, but the above types will definitely work well in Tesla Coil service. You can find these on eBay, through Dr. Resonance, and many electronic parts distributors.

Bert