Re: [TCML] MOT Measurements

Hi Bart,

> The voltage across the MOT itself is due to the cap value (hope were
> talking apples and apples and the same Piranha circuit). The resonant
> value for the MOT was near 1.45uF, so the MOT and total capacitance
> (2x330nF) is operating in STR at 1/2 it's Cres value
- Now I am a little bit confused: Here you are talking of resonant
rise and in one of your previous messages you stated: "...My
conclusion here is that unless one is using a very large cap value,
there is *no* transformer resonance issue. Terry's Piranha circuit
using 165 nF is nowhere near resonance...". Yes, we are talking of
Piranha II.

> Regarding the MOV's: If their getting hot within seconds, then their
> switching all the time. Are you using MOV's across the MOT's secondary
> winding? If so, what are is the rated turn on voltage?
- After frying the medical transformer I replaced it with the
original MOT. In order to protect it from overvoltage/kickbacks I
soldered 4 MOVs S20K625 (connected in series of course) directly
across the secondary winding. The no-load-voltage of the MOT is 2232
Vrms. To my surprise they got so hot within seconds that they became
unsoldered. Then I disconnected the diodes from the tranny and
repeated the test: no heating at all. To find out the amplitude of
the overvoltage I added MOVs in series until they stayed cold: 3675
Vrms!! A note: I used unused MOVs, as used ones could have reduced
their breakdown voltage. S20K625 means max AC voltage is 625 Vrms.

Bye		Herwig