Re: [TCML] Need coil winding advice

In a message dated 2/27/09 9:30:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>I  personally cut 3 slots into two wooden discs (16" diameter) out of old
>wire spool ends. The slots were equally spaced from near the center
>outward. In the slots I mounted aluminum cylinders (3/8"D x 4"L). I
>simply screwed in a bolt from one side of the disc slot into the end  of
>the cylinder on the other side in each slot (so 3 cylinders). The  slots
>allow me to adjust from 3" to 15" diameter coils. The aluminum  cylinder
>fit on the inside of the form and are slid into equal  positions against
>the inside walls.

    Wow, that's a great idea, Bart!
    Saves the trouble of gluing/wedging in cross-bars  or disks for locating
axles, and it's a on-size-fits-all approach! Also easy to  adjust the coil to
spin with minimal runout, which is certainly helpful for  winding and coating
(and keeps the darn thing from bouncing itself off the table  at high speed!)
    I'm guessing you use waxpaper between the coil form  ends and the insides
of the disks, to keep from gluing everything together when  coating?
    Got a link to pics of your setup?

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities
**************Get a jump start on your taxes. Find a tax professional in your
neighborhood today.