[TCML] Off Grid Tesla Coil (sort of)

Greetings,
I am new to this list. I am a semi-retired EE now doing transmitter design
of replica 20s and 30s gear (for fun)

I've wondered the following:

Has anyone built a Tesla coil powered by a large bank of batteries (say 10
car batteries)? You can pull huge amounts of current from the stack and
recharge them off the grid over a longer period of time. In that way, you
don't hammer the AC power line while making lightning.

Several years ago, I participated in the development of an x-ray generator
(about 15 KW) that did exactly that. Supply output to the x-ray tube was 100
to 150 KV at 100 to 150 mA. The result was a portable x-ray machine in a
hospital that wasn't tied to a 240 VAC line. Just plug it in over night.
Worked great.

Thoughts, suggestions, criticisms, are appreciated.

73 & Stay Vertical,

Jim Harvey (W7YV) - The Great Curmudgeon
P.O. Box 18009
Salt Lake City, UT 84118
http://www.harveyclan.net
http://www.harveyclan.net/w7yv.htm