RE: [TCML] New high voltage source for VTTC

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Liviu Vasiliu
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:35 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: RE: [TCML] New high voltage source for VTTC

Thanx for the reply James.

Some Snippage:

That toob looks like a nice choice. Tesla coils need a low Mu toob. The
Gu5b has a Mu of 18 or so. What did you use for a filament transformer?
Did you wind your own? Man, 12.6V at 25A. Over 300 watts on the
filament. Since I love the tube coils and you have a problem getting
MOT's. I'll do you a service. I have tons of MOT's if you want to pay
postage, I'll ship you a few for postage only. If you want just a core,
I have a few of those also.
    When making a filament transformer, I cut the MOT's apart with a
grinder and make a form to rewind the primary and secondary. Then I
reweld the core back after I'm finished. This way I get a nice, cool
running, oversized transformer. I used about a 500 watt core on my
horizontal tube coil. The two toobs (5868's) draw 200 watts. MOT's have
about 120 turns on the primary. This is about 30% too few turns. Most
MOT's saturate at 80-100 volt input. I used 200 turns of primary
(tapped) and added 10% to secondary winding for losses. This rewound
transformer runs cool and quiet. Later, James