RE: [TCML] Spark gaps, Solid state switches and diodes

Gary:

I still have boards available.  Contact me off list if you are interested.

In the original SISG design Terry has a 4700 ohm gate shutdown resistor.
This gave a shutdown time of 901 uSec which was plenty of time for full
decay.  I ran a series of tests with progressively smaller resistors (1/2
value at each step) and stopped when I reached 680 ohms which gave a
shutdown time of 130 uSec.  My test coil has a resonant frequency of 168K Hz
and rings down in about 80 to 100 uSeconds.  I did not go lower because I
was afraid of destroying IGBT's if I shutdown before full decay.

Waveforms can be found here:
http://www.teslaboys.com/SISG/SISGWaveforms2/index.html

I have never destroyed an IGBT on any of my SISG based Tesla Coils.

BUT....

Recently, my boys and I built a Gauss Canon.  We used the SISG to trigger
it.  I misjudged the time it would take to discharge the cap because of the
very low resonant frequency of this device (only 212 Hz!! for our unit).  So
we blew IGBT's until we increased the shutdown resistor value to 100K ohms
(shutdown time 19 milliseconds).  With the coil magnetic field wound up with
energy when the IGBT shutdown the voltage would skyrocket and blow the IGBT.
As soon as we changed the resistor, the canon began firing 1/2" steel balls
30 to 40 feet.  We are using one SISG circuit and firing at 900 volts.
Current is approximately 300 amps and each bang is about 180 Joules.

Mark Dunn