RE: [TCML] Spark gaps, Solid state switches and diodes

> I think we need to air some definitions . . . , what's your definition of
"disruptive" as it applies to Tesla Coils?

In order to accurately define the word "disruptive" as it applies to Tesla
coils we first have to see how Tesla himself uses the word.  Here are some
examples found in his lecture "Experiments with Alternate Currents of High
Potential and High Frequency," IEE Address, London, February 1892 (
http://www.tfcbooks.com/tesla/1892-02-03.htm ).

". . . In the experiments such as performed this evening, we operate the
coil either from a specially constructed alternator capable of giving many
thousands of reversals of current per second, or, by DISRUPTIVELY
discharging a condenser through the primary, we set up a vibration in the
secondary circuit of a frequency of many hundred thousand or millions per
second, if we so desire; and in using either of these means we enter a field
as yet unexplored. . . ."

". . . Before showing some of these curious effects I must, for the sake of
completeness, give a short description of the coil and other apparatus used
in the experiments with the DISRUPTIVE DISCHARGE this evening. . . ."

My definition of the adjective "disruptive," within the context of Tesla
coil technology, relates to the transitive verb "disrupt."  The word
"disrupt" is the act of breaking down an insulating medium or dielectric
separating two conducting bodies, by means of an electrical discharge.  In
Tesla coil jargon the adjective form of the word is often found as part of
the term "disruptive discharge," as in "disruptive discharge Tesla coil"
(see for example http://www.tfcbooks.com/images/lectures/1892-02-03/005.gif
).

Look at this image:
http://www.tfcbooks.com/images/lectures/1892-02-03/017.gif , for an example
of a disruptive discharge Tesla coil transformer being used to power an
electric motor.  Notice that there are no sparks breaking out from the high
voltage terminal.

> Hmm, sounds like another disciple . . .

If you meant to say, 'it looks like this guy is researching Tesla's wireless
telecommunications system,' then you're correct.

> . . . of the Corums. . . .

I feel honored and privileged to have Dr. James Corum as a friend and
mentor.

G.P.

"Radio and TV are not audiovisual aids for increasing or promoting the
former ways of experience.  They are the new languages.  Firstly, we must
learn and then we must teach these new languages in all their subtle details
and abundances." - Marshall McLuhan

From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx On Behalf Of FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx

g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>Correct, the objective is to create undamped or partially  damped
>oscillations in the helical resonator.

     Hmm, sounds like another disciple of the  Corums... :P

>> . . . SISG-driven coils are by definition,  disruptive.
>
>The term "disruptive discharge Tesla coil" derives  from the specific
>type of circuit controller or switch, colloquially  known as the "spark
>gap," located in the primary circuit.  The  fact is, neither
>solid-state nor vacuum tube Tesla coils, nor those  driven by modified
>RF alternators are disruptive discharge Tesla coils, sparks or no sparks.

    I think we need to air some definitions so  everybody's on the same
page.
    Mr. Peterson, what's your definition of  "disruptive" as it applies to
    Tesla Coils?

-Phil LaBudde