Re: [TCML] SISG Technology

Hi Bart,

Nope - this guy didn't abscond with Terry's SISG design...

This particular patent (dated 2002) predates Terry's SISG work by about 4 years and, unlike Terry's approach it uses stacked high speed thyristors as the main current carrying element, with optical sensor/IGBT or pulse transformer triggering for each stage. The SISG is kind of the reverse of this - it uses a thyristor to trigger IGBT power switches. This proposal appears to be a pulsed power adaption of similar optically or transformer isolated stacked thyristor circuits used for the inverters in HVDC electrical power transmission systems. Specially fabricated high di/dt thyristors were employed in this application for faster turn on time. As with the SISG, diodes are used to conduct reverse pulse current. You can see the full disclosure of the approach, schematics, and test results here:

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/images4/PATENTSCOPE/17/70/e9/0070e9.pdf

HOWEVER: I see no reason why stacked SISG-like circuits could not be used for certain pulsed power applications, and it would not surprise me to see SISG-like circuits applied to this arena...

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured

bartb wrote:
Hi All,

While doing a search for "high voltage solid state switch", I came across a patent of sorts.
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=2002084872

The telling tale are the words in the abstract "multiple thyristors". Is this not the same as the SISG? "energy at the thyristors is the same as the switching circuit", etc.

Seems to me this Steven Gliddon looked at Terry's design, saw an application for such a circuit, and ran with it as his own.

I could just be paranoid also. But odd how similar this appears.

Maybe Terry has finally reached Tesla status (others patenting his technology).

I may be off here, but thought of Terry's SISG as soon as I read the abstract.

Bart