Re: [TCML] Spherical topload SGTC

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009, Liviu Vasiliu wrote:

I have a little Chrismas vacance so I had the time to finish another project. Is a spherical topload little SGTC used for spontaneously manifestation of the "swirling streamer effect".

With the two spheres, does the discharge behavior become very different if you leave the gap open between them, or if you add a conductor in the gap to connect them? If the main influence is the shape of the surrounding e-field, then there should be small or zero difference whether the two spheres are connected or not.

Also ...for the last few years, "plasma focus" or plasma-pinch experiments have employed the above trick to stablize the plasma streamer. By pulsing an axial gas jet during the discharge in the vacuum chamber, fusion physicists can greatly extend the useful lifetime of the plasma streamer before it kinks up.

William J. Beaty                http://staff.washington.edu/wbeaty/
beaty a chem washington edu     Research Engineer
billb amascicom                 UW Chem Dept,  Bagley Hall RM74
206-543-6195                    Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700