Re: [TCML] Terry Filter

Lau, Gary skrev:
Hi Paul,

I myself have no experience (successfully) using OBIT's.  My only ill-fated experience was when I was a total newbie and thought I could series the outputs from two OBIT's.

I can't think of any reason OBIT's would be intrinsically inferior to NST's.  Both have similar construction and specs, and both are current limited.  I would like to think (HA!) that OBIT's being in a more critical application, might be built a bit sturdier than something that just needs to light a sign?  Perhaps it's that the used OBIT's that I and others used were pulled by a serviceman for good reason, and may work just fine on a good day, but...?

BTW, 9kV@50mA sounds unusual for an OBIT.  Every one I've seen is rated 10kV@23mA.  OBIT's typically have inconvenient HV terminals, designed to be attached directly to the oil burner.  Are you sure you don't have an NST?

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Gary, all,

One thing that makes the OBIT`s inferior, is the intermittent duty cycle of the load. Whereas the NST is designed to be _on_ for a full nights neon sign duty, the OBIT is only intended to be _on_ for the few seconds it takes to ignite the fuel. This short _on_ period is followed by a long rest, until the furnace is lit again. This dramatic difference in design target does make the OBIT remarkably more fragile than the NST. IMHO

Cheers, Finn Hammer

And merry christmas to all!