From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [TCML] Terry Filter
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 02:16:43 +0000

If you build a filter with MOV's targeting a 15kV NST, and you use a 9kV NST, the MOV's will allow a peak voltage of something like 22-23kV before they kick in.  With a 9kV NST, the maximum voltage that *should* be allowed is 9000 x 1.414 = 12726, call it 13-14kV.  So it would be permitting too-high voltages that should have been clamped.  One needs to select the correct number of MOV's for the NST voltage used, for the same reason that one needs to set the safety gap for each situation.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA