Re: [TCML] Re: Pros and cons

Tuning DRSSTCs:

Most all tesla coils are 4th order systems.  This means that there are 2
resonant peaks due to the coupling of the 2 resonant circuits.  The DRSSTC
can excite the system at a lower or higher frequency than the natural
resonance, which means that 1 resonant peak (or "pole") is excited more than
the other.  This produces primary currents that never notch back down to 0A
due to energy transfer to the secondary coil (there may be just a partial
notch in primary current).  In some instances of spark production, it can be
useful to detune the primary coil to a lower resonant frequency than the
secondary coil (i could explain why, but its getting off subject).

For your case, you are NOT trying to pump more energy into a spark, so you
would not want to detune the system as mentioned.  You would exploit the
classical and well-behaved ideal of tuning both primary and secondary LC's
to be the same Fo.  In this case, i see absolutely no reason why a "DRSSTC
is more sensitive".  Im not sure i understand that comment anyway, but
perhaps what was meant was that "DRSSTCs can work with different tunings".

Another question about your load... How will you suppress sparks from
forming?  Is the load completely under oil?  Or are all the radii something
much larger than say 10"?  Last time i checked, 800kV is about the order of
some very large tesla coils that hurl sparks in the 15-25 foot range (though
not on a single-shot basis).  Also, given the extra capacitance of your
load, im assuming you will need to re-tune to compensate?

Steve