Re: [TCML] transformer questions.

Hi Brian,

Your post doesn't specify, so I must assume you are trying to build a spark gap tesla coil (SGTC), and you need a high voltage transformer to drive it..  Yes, 2kva is the product of the amps and volts.  Single phase refers to the number of AC phases supplied by the wallplug.  Normal residential wall outlets provide single phase AC.  The alternative is 3-phase AC which is usually available only to commercial and industrial customers.

Your distribution transformer is not a high voltage transformer and is not suitable for a SGTC.  I wouldn't get rid of it though, because it could eventually prove useful for coiling tasks other than HV power supply.

Since you are new to coiling, I suggest you start out with a neon sign transformer (NST).  You need a "real" NST with an iron core--not one of the little solid-state neon power supplies.  Also, try to find an NST without ground-fault circuit interruption (GFCI) circuitry.  The kind of NST I'm referring to is pretty easy to find on e-bay.

Cheers,

Gregory R. Hunter