Re: [TCML] Mirrors as glass plate and "foil" style caps?

Hey Gary....

not that I was going to build it, it was more of a theoretical question. If I was to do it tho, I would cut the mirror into 12X12 squares for 35 layered plates, thus a silver layer between each glass plate.
Damn thing would weigh about as much as two 1256D variacs :)~

Tho it would be interesting just to see if it would have a capacitance.... just maybe when I have the time.... hmmmmmm... ;)

Scot D

Lau, Gary wrote:

The use of the silver side as a plate offers no advantage over the more typical Al foil plates and there is no end to the downsides:
- The size and weight of the thing!  The cap shouldn't overshadow the rest of a coil (IMHO)
- The challenge to safely insulate such a large thing
- The challenge to devise a high-current peripheral contact to the silver plating
- You'll need to have foil on the other side anyway
- The certain prospect of 7 years bad luck

If a gun were held to my head I could probably get it to work, but...

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA