[TCML] Stupid thought... Grounding

Ok so this just hit me while watching Futurama... Love that show... anywaz, I might have some insight as to the poor performance of my new coil. I know everyones probably going to say DUH, and smack me over the back of the head. I never had trouble with previous coils. My latest pig driven coil would output a 15 footer on a good day... This coil and its predecessors were all attached to an 8ft copper grounding rod. I now live in an apartment in Raleigh NC (was first floor till a few weeks ago). When I tested the coil in the old apartment, we used a copper water pipe we assumed went into the foundation. (Small table top tesla coil) Now that I think about it im guessing a didnt procure a decent ground. I know this'll be hard, but try to ignore all other potential variables. Assume this coil runs at peak efficiency with say that old 8ft ground rod. How much would you guess performance would be hurt by using the theoretical water pipe ground. Even better yet, now that the coil will be operated outside, can anyone take a guess on performance using a removable 1ft or 2ft rod? I know you can create a surface area ground with say a disc of chicken wire but thats a pain in the butt. Also linking many short grounds together, but that seems like a pain too. Ultimately, the question is, will performance suffer if I only use a 1 - 2ft removable ground or will the effects be negligible between the different sizes for a coil of very little power? Thanks

12/30 NST
4" x 22" Secondary
LTR MMC Cap
standard stuff