Re: [TCML] Photos of my coil.

Hi Austin,

From the collective answers that you have already received
to your post about capacitor size, the obvious answer to the
question in reference to the .005 uFd is "farther away". ;^) Al-
though transformer Z is dependant upon the line frequency
(50/60 hz) along with the voltage/current rating of the transformer,
"I" cannot seem to recall the formula for determining transformer
impedance right off the top of my head, but programs like
JavaTC from Bart Anderson's excellent Tesla coil site:
www.classictesla.com can get you pretty well situated on all
of these parameters.

Also, you should check into www.teslauniverse.com and log
into their chatroom, as there are often coilers from this very
forum chatting live about Tesla coils in there. ;^)

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "austin feathers" <kartkid1@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 12:12 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Photos of my coil.

Thanks David,

Apparently I'm learning the hard way that NST's are pretty fickle :P. I have also consildered adding vanes to the rotor just to move some air through the
gaps for quenching. I was wondering though just how to calculate NST
impedance, and how that relates to resonance in the tank circuit such that a safe capacitor voltage can be found. Do I need to move closer to, or further
away from .005 microfarrads?

I'll contact you about the variac!

Thanks!

Austin