Re: [TCML] HV Transformer Winding

Finn, how does flipping one of the hv windings remove ground near the core?? All it does is change the polarity of that coil in relation to the flux in the core.

BTW, I agree! Phil's got a really (really) nice setup. I'm filled with massive amounts of envy!

Take care,
Bart

Finn Hammer wrote:
Phil,

Nice setup.
Daring my skull to break, my guess is that the coils should be wound the same direction: Visualize all 3 windings on the center leg, wound the same direction. By center tapping them, you stack them on top of each other, electrically speaking, and grounding the center makes the ends swing in each direction.

Now go to mechanical mode, and slide the first winding over to the side leg: the same flux direction, right?. Now slide the other winding over to the other side leg: still same flux direction. So, magnetically, same situation. Electrically so, so viola: just go ahead and wind 2 identical coils.

I oppose both Bart and Gary, flipping the coil won`t do any good. We still want ground closest to the core.

Did you mean flipping the connections?

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Phil Tuck skrev:
Hello.
I am just off to the workshop now try a temporary coil. I may have enough small gauge scrap to wind a very low-voltage primary though, that would not
need many turns and that could be done by hand.
The reason for not doing this originally is that the lathe (my winding
machine) is all setup for the next secondary, and I don't really want to
break it all down to wind the new primary and then have to set it all up
again for the other secondary. The lathe setup is far from straightforward as I didn't have sufficient centre height as standard. You can see the setup
I'm using here
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/follies/tesla/tesla%20hv%20rewind.jpg (One
chuck is driving another chuck mounted above the bed)
"Necessity is the mother of invention" as they say

Regards

Phil