To: "Tesla Pupman List" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:50 PM
Subject: RE: [TCML] Questions on grounding

Hello Joe,
The reason that a fan on the spark gap helps improve output of a Tesla coil is that it helps to extinguish the arc and blow out the ions. When the ions are all gone, the gap takes a higher voltage to make it break down, which means that there's more 'bang energy', resulting in more energy transferred to the secondary coil and that means larger streamers on the output.
Christopher