Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:48:06 -0700
From: bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] Rotary Spark Gap Break Rate?
CC: I'm happy Gary chimed in (I almost blew coffee out my nose). Just to add (regarding electrode spacing), an RSG is a "timing" gap. The time between presentations is what determines the cap voltage with the current charging the cap. Thus, spacing the electrodes wide is not helpful (but rather dangerous to your cap and transformer). The electrode spacing should be as narrow as is practical to ensure the gap fires at each presentation. If you want to lower bps and increase the voltage (in a controlled way), then reduce the rpm of the motor or remove some rotating electrodes or use a larger cap or increase the transformer current. There are a lot of ways to increase a larger bang size without spacing the electrodes wide. A mis-firing due to wide spacing can increase Vp by 2 or even higher on the next firing presentation.

Take care,
Bart

Lau, Gary wrote:
As the question asked was specifically about break rate, the goal is not to spin as fast as possible. If it were, break rates of thousands BPS would easily be possible, but the power supply could never charge a reasonably sized cap fast enough.

Rather, the goal is to supply a break rate that is appropriate for the cap size and charging capacity of the transformer, while ensuring that power arcing and poor quenching that would result if a static gap were used with a high-powered system, won't happen.

I didn't follow "the electrodes need to be spaced so that they barely can break out at all when they're placed right in front of the stationary electrodes". In fact, the stationary and rotating electrodes should be spaced so the gap between them at alignment is as narrow as possible without risking a crash. Making the gap too wide risks missed firings at presentations.

Also, using a static gap with a 60 Hz power supply by no means ensures that the resulting break rate is 60 or 120 BPS. By sizing the cap, transformer, and gap spacing, one might get an _average_ close to 120 BPS or any other number you choose, but the actual BPS will be chaotic and vary second-to-second.
Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA