Re: [TCML] Rotary Spark Gap Break Rate?

Hi Scott,

Good analogy. Water is always a good analytical approach to how a cap charges and discharges in a Tesla coil type circuit.

Take care,
Bart

BunnyKiller wrote:
Hey Andrew...

Since Im ADD and dislexic, my thinking process is totally wacked ;)
but here are my thoughts...
break rates are only avantagious when they are matched to the power available to charge the cap within the time between "presentations" of each electrode alignment. if it takes your power supply to charge the cap to full potential in lets say 2 seconds, then a break rate of once per 2 seconds is the "best" rate to use. Are you running 50 Hz system?? In a 60 Hz enviroment, the peaks appear at 120 times per second, thus the favor for a 120 BPS rotory ( synchronized rotory is best when matched approximately to the peaks). But, here is the clincher, you need a power supply that can achieve or excell the requirements which can "top off" the cap to full capacity to get the most from the primary/cap combination. Options are to either use smaller caps ( uF wise, more primary turns, less trannie output amperage) or go for larger caps ( uF wise, less primary turns, more trannie output amperage) and try to keep the BPS about the same...

pretty much as in you need to empty the bucket so many times per second but wish to have the bucket filled to the max at each moment you empty it... too small a water supply ( trannie output) the bucket never gets filled when it comes time to empty it. If your water supply is emmence, the bucket can be filled quickly and "overflow" but this gives you the opportunity to empty the bucket even faster than you may need to ( a higher BPS can be used) . So I suppose its a matter of finding that water supply, the right sized bucket and the number of times per second you want to empty it when its full....

just my thoughts...  ( hey you asked ;) )

Scot D

Teslamad wrote:

What do you guys think the best break rate for an ARSG? I've heard 240 - 400 bps

Currently, I'm designing a new gap with 10 rotary electrodes, 2 stationary electrodes, 1550 RPM motor, and if my math / formula is correct...

(1550rpm * 10 electrodes) / 60 = aprox. 258.33 bps

What do ya think?

Regards,
Andrew