From: S&JY [mailto:youngs@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:51 PM
To: 'Tesla Coil Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [TCML] Questions on grounding

Weinhold,

Your phenomenon is perfectly normal, not strange.  One way adds another
half turn to your primary, and the other way effectively subtracts a
half turn.
Your connecting wire is closely coupled to your primary and is in effect
part of it. So one way happens to make your primary be in tune with your
secondary.  The other way results in the primary being a different
resonant frequency from your secondary.

Think of it as a transformer - your primary is one winding and your
connecting wire is the other.  Connecting the windings in series will
either result in increased (series-aiding) or decreased
(series-opposing) total inductance.

If you have an inductance meter, you can measure the difference
inductance depending on how your tap point wire is routed.

Steve Y.