Re: [TCML] Varnishing Secondary

Opinions are like belly buttons (everyone has one) and I've got one to.

I like to put on enough coats until I can no longer feel the wire (smooth glass feel). The number of coats are dependent on the coating itself. I personally like coatings that go on thick (less work and faster). For most coatings, you should sand between coats. For the first coat, put it on thick and let dry. Then "very" lightly sand the finish. It's easy to sand too deep and actually sand into the wire insulation (this causes shiny copper streaks which can be unsightly).

For thick coatings which are brushed on, the form ideally should be horizontal to the floor and turning very slow (little DC gear motor works well for this). With this method, you can put the coating on very thick and let it continue to turn until dry with no drips. Anything you set up for this (fancy or even very simple) will work.

If your going to use a spray on coating, then avoid the urge to spray too much in one area or drips will occur regardless of vertical or horizontal positioning.

Thickness is up to the user. Coils have been run without coatings, lite coatings, saran wrapped, etc... The reason I like thick coatings is to make the coil construction robust and to reduce corona inception around the radius's of the wire.

There is another alternative if the form is not too large. Heat shrink tubing. There are some transparent/clear tubings that can go up to nearly 5" diameter. I would probably not go the route of adhesive wall type, unless your sure you will never need to remove the heat shrink.

Take care,
Bart

Matthew Stevens wrote:
I was wondering how many coats of varnish would be advisable for the outside
of the secondary coil? I put two coats on mine, but have read conflicting
things about how many is best. Does anyone have any opinions?

Thanks,
Matthew