Re: [TCML] VTTC-tuning. John got me started ;-)

Dex
On Apr 3, 2009, at 12:40 PM, Dex Dexter wrote:

Thanks.
Here's the part I don't understand:
"
Others eventually got longer sparks perhaps at 30 PPS staccato rate
Short answer is yes, because power input in VTTCs that are not optimal is lost, typically as heat in many different components. It is a system subject to loss which is a variable associated with many components. Not all coils are equal.

"
Do you mean they used the same input power as in raw 60 Hz operation but operated VTTC 30 PPS staccato?

Most, not all VTTC coils, use self rectification which produces the 60 Hz operation. Even if they use a simple doubler (level shifter) it still operates at 60 Hz. The staccato mode is a simple device that is in synchronization with the 60Hz to ground the tube cathode. The tank circuit uses its energy in between the pulses. The streamers die between pulses. The original purpose of the controler was to reduce the duty cycle of the tube and operate the tube beyond its intended ratings.

If you rectify the plate voltage and run pure DC you end up producing a flame like discharge that is corona and no streamers.
John W. G.

John W. Gudenas, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science

Dex