Re: [TCML] VTTC-tuning. John got me started ;-)

Hi Dex,

Dex Dexter wrote:
3.Is this a good formula to roughly estimate top volts:

0.5*L*di/dt < V < L*di/dt

where i denotes secondary base current ,L low frequency secondary inductance,t time.

When considering top volts, it is certainly a "rough" estimate. A calculation can tell you about where you would expect the top volts to "top out at". But the temperature of the day, humidity, radius of curvature of the top terminal, preceding ionization, etc.. will determine the actual breakout voltage and it can be drastically different than the calc. But yes, if you look at the peak base current (which is much higher than the average base current) and look at the current over time, you can calc the value at which the top load will attempt to charge to. But, in reality, it will likely break out at a lower voltage based on the misc. conditions described earlier.

Personally for a top-volt guess, I use Vpri x sqrt(Cpri/Cee) * 0.7 and Cee comes from Javatc since Javatc has the ability to equate the energy storage capacitance (that moment in the cycle when all the energy is stored in the capacitance of the top load).

Take care,
Bart