Re: [TCML] Bi-Polar coil construction plans/tips/etc ?

David Dean wrote:
On Thursday 02 April 2009 07:03:03 am Daniel Kline wrote:
I once made a bi-polar coil that produced sparks longer than the
secondary. Actually, there were three coils: The bipolar secondary, and
an additional vertical coil on each end of the bipolar coil. The
secondary coil was inside a lucite tube, and the additional coils were
connected to the secondary by copper tubing. The primary coupling was
fairly tight and sparks would play all over the lucite if the additional
coils weren't breaking out at their breakout points.

Wow! A bi-polar Magnifier! Any pictures?

Well, it wasn't really a magnifier. It just a really-long bipolar coil with the ends turned up, if you think about it. There wasn't any special driving or anything.

In fact, now that *I* think about it just this second, I *didn't* get sparks longer than the secondary! If I consider the additional length of the coil as it would have been if I would have added those vertical coils horizontally...I mean, 48" + 22" + 22" = 92"! I never got anywhere *near* that long of an arc. maybe 60".

D'oh!

Dan K.