Re: [TCML] Any thoughts on this coil package?

Considering the labor and time to build the completed coil, I would say this is a very low price. Although, I'm not sure why anyone would want to buy a coil when they could have fun building their own :-P (thilly rabbit).

If I were to manufacture and sell coils even similar to this one, my selling price would have been quite a bit more. When you consider time, labor, material costs, and then factor the profit margin, coils get expensive (workmanship should also be factored). Even the DRSSTC pcb is expensive unless high volumes are involved. And then there's pcb component assembly to factor. The secondary wire, form, winding, coating, etc.. Cheap toroid but still labor intensive. Primary is easy (but still labor intensive). Cap (not sure of) but costs are certainly associated. It's amazing he is selling this coil at this price. His feedback is excellent, so kudo's to whoever is selling this DRSSTC!

There are of course markets for professional coils which Resonance Research and KVA Effects mainly direct their sells force, but for the average Joe there is a market also (and if it wasn't for the internet and eBay specifically, this market would be non-existent except in the back of novelist magazines). So my hat is off to this seller (for however long it last). Probably not a place to establish a business as I'm sure there will be more and more coilers selling "their own" coils as we go on. Competition (a buyers market) will force lower prices until there's no reason to even be in business with the product.

My personal feeling is that if a coiler is selling their own manufactured coils, then add up time, labor, and material costs and ensure a 70% standard margin like any other "profitable" company would do at ""minimum"" (especially in a nitch market). There should also be an adjustment for "quality". For example, compare a Rolex and a Timex (two different markets, two different qualities, and two very different list prices, yet they both perform the same function). Each has it's market so both companies are profitable.

These are just my opinions (dime a dozen), but I think this coil is being priced to sell quickly. So, it is probably a great buy for those that choose to buy a coil rather than build one themselves. Weird post.

Bart

Terry Blake wrote:
Hi Steve,

The same coil is also available on eBay: Item number: 180293436137
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180293436137&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D180293436137%26_fvi%3D1 There is more information about the builder (100% positive on 98 transactions). You can view feedback from others who bought the coil.
You can ask the seller your questions on the eBay link.

Cheers,
Terry Blake