Re: [TCML] DIY Tank Capacitor - Plate configuration confusion

By the term "floating", I think this simply implied being not connected to an end terminal. There may be a physics term of a floating plate I'm unaware of. This subject would make a rather interesting discussion in physics forums. I'd bet we would learn all kinds of interesting things (especially the charges on the unconnected plate).

Bart

Dan Elyea wrote:
That 942C is a clever approach to achieving certain specs.  It analyzes down
to being two capacitors in series in one casing.   The metalized film serves
as one plate for each capacitor, and it also serves as the connection that
places the two capacitors in series.  There is no "floating" plate as far as
the operation of the capacitor.  The "floater" serves simultaneously as a
plate for each of two capacitors and as the "strap" that connects the two
capacitors.

Dan