Re: [TCML] Fluff in the secondary

Hi Steve,

Remove longest threads of lint using either a "directional" (self-cleaning) lint brush or an adhesive lint roller. Stubborn pieces may need to be carefully removed using a pair of pointed tweezers. Once you've removed as many of the larger loose fibers as you can, dry out the form (and fibers) using a hair dryer and then immediately coat the form with either multiple coats of clear polyurethane, a 2-part clear epoxy coating, or HV corona dope.

Any of these products will help to seal in any remaining fibers, preventing them from standing up in the high surface E-field and from absorbing moisture from the air. The coating also smooths out the E-field along the entire surface of the secondary, preventing corona from ever starting. A thick epoxy coating can even reduce or prevent winding damage if you ever get any racing sparks or primary-secondary flashovers - hits to the secondary tend to spread out in Lichtenberg-like surface discharges instead of puncturing/damaging the wire insulation below.

Good luck and best regards,

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured

Stephen J. Hobley wrote:
We did our first 60ma tests of the coil last night, pictures to
follow, but one immediate problem was tiny white flashes of light on
the secondary. They were fixed in space (not racing) and when we
looked closely at the coil we noticed that there are tiny fibres of
lint trapped in the coil windings.

We did not seal the coil - next time we will - how can we remove the
lint without damaging the windings, it seems in there pretty tight.

Steve