Re: [TCML] pole pigs from Gustav

Hi Scot, all,

This may be true for the large electrical utility providers
but it's obviously not the case for every small rural uti-
lities. The reason I say this is that the transformer rebuild
shop in central Mississippi where I have purchased a
couple of my pigs is set up for rebuilding pole transfor-
mers and it is my understanding that most of their customers
are small rural power companies. There's obviously a
market for rebuilt pole transformers or they wouldn't
be in business.

After thinking about the postings of Herr Zapp and Robert
Davies, I have to say that I agree. It is equivalent to
looting to go picking up downed transformers regardless
of their condition. If you'd have to "run and hide" when
someone else showed up while engaging in the activity,
then it must be wrong! Also, I find it hard to believe that the
power company wouldn't at least "scrap out" the alumi-
num and copper from defunct transformers, especially
as high as the commodity price of these metals has
become recently. OTOH, I have heard that the core
iron is NOT recyclable.

--
David Rieben

From: bunnykiller <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>