Re: [TCML] Function Generator Question

> I just acquired a used function generator from e-bay.  Very nice looking
> "Protek" unit made in Korea.  Real bargain.  No user manual though.  Range
> is <1Hz to 2MHz which should be fine for pinging secondaries, tuning up
> primary circuits, coupling measurements, etc.  I just have one question.
> What is the "SWEEP" control for?  I turned it on while monitoring the
> output on an o'scope, and it seems to repetitively sweep the output
> frequency from low to high.  What good is that?  Poor man's spectrum
> analyzer?
     Yep.
     Sometimes/commonly there is ALSO a 'ramp' output that
     is an analog of the frequency.  Using that ramp to drive
     the horizontal input of the 'scope, so a 'poor man's
     spectrum analyzer' results.

     Not 'top drawer', but can be useful, instructive.

> If the sweep control has some useful application for TC testing,
> adjustment, or analysis, please share it with the list.
     One useful thing, at least to me, was to quickly look for
     multiple resonances.  May or may not show up, depending on
     frequency range....

     best
      dwp