Re: [TCML] surge arrestor for pole pig

In a message dated 9/17/08 2:51:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jcalvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>I am looking to purchase two of these to protect my pole pig  (25KVA

>14400VAC). Would two of these in series work as a 30KV  surge arrestor?

    Sure, but why do you need a 30kV arrestor for a  14.4kV pig?

>Figuring peak output of my pole pig is aprox. 20KV.

    Pretty close (20.36kV), assuming rated low  voltage in (no variac,
correct voltage, etc.).

> Could this protect mypole pig from arcs from the secondary back  to the
primary?  This happens
>only rarely but has  happened.

    I don't think secondary strikes to the primary are  in and of themselves
of so much concern as the transients at the spark gap.
    I had problems with transients on the "safety"  ground when running my
ASRG (my grounded control cabinet arced to *me*, despite  a floating pig primary
and secondary!). The Terry Filter fixed this  completely

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities