[TCML] Seattle Lecture, Sunday, Oct 12 - Tesla Coils and Electrotherapy

Hey All,

If any of you are in the Seattle area, Oct 10 - 15, Frank and I will be there lecturing and will have a host of machines to play with at the hotel.  The focus of the lecture is something I've avoided doing for years :).

http://www.rifeconference.com

I have to explain something about this conference, before I am shot by the members of the list.  I normally wouldn't be caught dead at anything relating to Rife.  I made an exception this year, because I want to try and provide some historic documents, data, and machine demonstrations of a nature not normally witnessed in the public, and not fitting in exactly with a normal Tesla conference.  Things that this audience will love to see, but with a historical perspective they won't be expecting, and a clarification of certain time-altered facts concerning how and why various machines were "banned", and what was "real" vs what was purely bogus attempts to make money.

In the past, I ignored or turned down plees to speak at these sorts of conferences, because I didn't want to be associated with "modern quacks".  (In the same way I don't want to be associated with the science fiction side of Tesla's research - which seems to be the focus of most Tesla conferences these days).  My strange research, collection, and museum were founded on a curiosity to find the real truth behind the history of electrotherapy machines and their various inventors -  but the main interest from the beginning was to document the inner-workings of the various machines, and technologies contained (anything relating to medical claims are just interesting side-notes...).

When I started in the 1990s there was a surge of alternative medical "salesman" that stopped at no levels selling bogus machines and ignoring real history (and ethics) all together.  They used ignorance of people and a distrust of the medical field (and drug industries) to their fullest advantage to take money from people that were not only sick, but sick with life-threatening illnesses.  I've received many letters from people who were on their deathbeds from buying into some of these devices at the expense of their savings accounts.  At the same time, people in my own family were diagnosed and treated successfully for cancers that would have killed them a few decades ago using modern accepted methods at well-respected cancer centers in Pittsburgh, PA and Miami, FL.

In the last two years, I've had people come out of the wood-work to contact/visit me.  Unexpected people from the "accepted" medical field and associations showed up to see everything.  To my surprise, they weren't unhappy to see such an archive.  On the contrary, most commented on how little the theories have changed, machines being only updated to reflect modern components in the electrical fields, and newer (safer) discoveries and alternatives.  This lecture, will be the first I do on the medical aspects of Tesla Coils rather than the technical aspects of the machines themselves.  Any statement made regarding medical authenticity will be backed by medical records, photos, etc. from the private part of our collection.  And more importantly, how these theories have evolved in modern medicine into more successful and safer practices.

For most people in that particular audience, they may believe that standing next to a coil is therapy.  I am bringing surgical Tesla Coils and demonstrating (using beef) how diseased tissues were actually removed from the body using a spark gap Tesla Coil (ie, cutting and coagulating of tissues).  It was far from non-invasive, to put it mildly.    We'll be showing Diathermy up-close, temperature changes in tissues, and the evolution of electricity in medicine, from hand-crank magnetos and static machines to modern [accepted] apparatus that have components of these early apparatus.  Regarding Tesla Coils in particular, the evolution will be from spark gap machines to short wave, short-wave to microwave and ultrasonic devices currently used today.  The interesting side notes in this will be that while the duration of treatments and frequencies changed as technologies were perfected and refined, the concepts originally used with Tesla coils remain. And still, despite all advances, sometime a spark gap Tesla Coil does best.  They are still used in small cautery machines found in most doctors offices today - inside them (well-hidden) are a high voltage transformer, spark gap, capacitor, and Tesla coil!  .  The output may be less than an 1/4" spark in most cases, but it still remains, an "archaic" form of "modern" Tesla Coil 100%.  (I have one with the case removed).

Frank and I did a "surprise lecture" something like this in Salt Lake City a few years ago concerning Tesla coils.  Many people were lecturing virtual science fiction regarding his inventions and life, and Frank and I show up with a 6-table stage of machines and photos and simply stole the show with a 3-hour lecture.  We didn't know if we would be well-received or eaten alive, and many people said it was one of the best lectures they saw in many years.  The camera crew even commented it was the first time people refused to leave for dinner (we were supposed to lecture only 2 hours, and when noone left we continued another hour until the university kicked us out).  I don't know that this will be the same, but we are certainly going to try.

For the sake of history, I think the time is right for this sort of lecture.  My big question for everyone on the list:  I am looking for someone who can look up legal records concerning several companies that were shut down for fraud.  Can anyone help me with this?

Jeff Behary