Re: [TCML] Handmade Vacuum Tubes Video: Build A Better 811A Mousetrap?

Hi, i often said the same thing "why cant we make our own" well, we can, but
the equipment to do so would be a huge start-up nightmare......the hardest
part of the tube work is de-gassing to temperature and the metal coatings is
what makes a good tube....now i worked at a place that made RF amplfiers and
also rebuilt power tubes, and one design of their own....now big tubes water
cooled tubes to 500kw triodes....
some of those tubes required renting a trailer mounted vacuum system, rf
heating system, all kinds of heat control, glass, filiament, internal parts
temps and seal temps......spent up to 3 weeks doing that pump down and
de-gassing......event after the tube was taken apart, recoated/repaired, new
filiament, etc
done in a cleanroom.....then back filled with some exotic gas mixture..then
load testing.....we can make dies and weld the parts together, its the clean
room, chemistry, seal making, de-gassing and pump down that costs very big
money.....a particle counter to tell what level of de-gassing the tube is
at.......and after 4 weeks rebuilding the tube and have a filiament failure
or a gassing problem, start all over again..that is the expensive part....or
a failed seal, take it apart and start over......again....
this man making tubes is definately a skilled glassworker, machinist, and a
whole heap of equipment to make a tube and have it work.....also electronics
savy as well....
i would simply like to have a tube to display......surely a limited and very
collectable tube...with the movie. cul brian f.

      www.genapro.com