Re: [TCML] Pigs killed in the line of [Tesla coil] duty

Hi Aaron and all,

You can add two more to the group of destroyed pigs: Greg Leyh and Charles Brush have also destroyed pigs (many years ago). Greg's was destroyed as it sat idle on the ground and one ear was accidentally struck by friendly fire from an errant TC streamer. Charles destroyed his while driving his Tesla Coil.

While considerably more robust than most other HV transformers, distribution transformers are still vulnerable to high dv/dt transients. The insulation systems within the HV winding can be degraded and, eventually, destroyed through partial discharges (PD) and flash-overs when subjected to repetitive high voltage transients. The distributed winding inductances and capacitances form a complex network of coupled LC elements. When shock excited by an external voltage transient, these elements resonate, resulting in a nonlinear voltage distribution across the HV winding that can overly stress some portions of the winding insulation system (usually the outermost sections).

Under sufficiently high dv/dt conditions, the overstressed portions of the winding and inter-layer insulation develop corona and PD. These lead to cumulative insulation damage, carbon tracking, and eventual insulation failure. The higher the dv/dt and pulse repetition rate, the faster the damage progresses.

As Aaron found, the problem usually develops between the inter-winding insulation layers closest to a HV input/output. This is a recognized long-term reliability problem within utility power and distribution transformers, where failures are often induced through switching transients (especially with vacuum and SF6 interrupters), or by nearby lightning strikes. Remember: Tesla coilers apply very fast dv/dt transients EVERY TIME the main spark gap fires, and transformer damage may only be a matter of time.

The preventative measure is similar to that used for NST's - reduce the maximum dv/dt seen by the HV winding. You can use either a higher power version of a Terry filter, or perhaps a simple series filter choke(s) as recommended by Dr. Resonance. Even if the MOV's are not used in the Terry filter, the RC filtering section is still recommended.

YMMV - many coilers have successfully run pig-powered systems without protective measures for years. However, internal partial discharge damage can silently progress with virtually no outward symptoms, until the transformer catastrophically fails. Preventative insurance is relatively cheap.

The first case that Aaron mentions appears to be classical dv/dt PD and tracking failure. The second failure is a bit more difficult to explain - perhaps a flashover that was mostly confined to the oil which then (mostly) healed itself after power was removed(?) - just like the explanation Aaron provided. Unfortunately, unlike some capacitors, self-healing transformers are pretty scarce... :^)

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured

J. Aaron Holmes wrote:
As long as we're keeping track of these incidents for posterity, I'll
add a couple more.

Case 1)

Friend and fellow Seattle coiler Matt Stiger toasted a 14.7kV 25kVA
unit a couple of years ago.  Granted, this was done whilst feeding
240V to the 120V windings (which had been placed in parallel within
the can, as would be done for 120V-only service, or else 208Y
three-phase service) in an effort to increase the output voltage,
which appeared to work fine.  Pig had operated without incident under
these conditions for some time, but it seemed to me a matter of
when--not if--the pig would be ruined.

Sure enough, the pig did give up the ghost one day while driving
Matt's monster coil.  Coil suddenly stopped performing.  Further
testing isolated the pig as the cause of the problem.  Small arcs
could be drawn off the pig, but running it open-circuit caused it to
arc internally.  The windings were later dissected and it was
discovered that multiple layers of paper on the HV side had burned
through near the end of the windings.  It was hard to tell exactly
where the first fault had occurred and what the sequence of
destruction might have been.

Fortunately, Matt has other pigs and PTs, so this wasn't a terrible
loss, and it *was* an interesting experiment, if mainly serving to
illustrate what can happen if you overvolts transformers like this!
But ruining pole pigs is no good for many reasons, not the least of
which is that you must then figure out how to "throw it away".  I've
dissected and removed the windings from several pole pigs in an
effort to re-purpose the cores, and it is very un-fun.

Case 2)

Nick Berndsen, a former regular on the web site All Things Tesla
(RIP), bought a 10kVA 14.4kV pole pig.  Shortly thereafter, while
running his coil, the pig pooped out.  IIRC, like Matt's, it would
arc internally when run into an open circuit.

Curiously for Nick, the pig seemed to rise from the grave a year
later; running into an open circuit no longer caused it to arc
internally.  Indeed, it appeard to have healed itself!  I offered
Nick my only theory, which was that the original fault had mainly
displaced/vaporized oil, making further arcing much easier.  After
sitting unused for a year, however, oil seeped back into the void
created by the initial fault and reinsulated things.  Any other
ideas?

I guess #2 doesn't really count, since the pig came back to life.
Self-ressurrection is definitely a unique property of a pole pig, if
indeed that is what happened here :-)

Cheers, Aaron, N7OE