RE: [TCML] pole pig protection

Correct - a choke in series with the HV winding does create a voltage divider.  But -

1) The division ratio is constant for all frequencies, 60 Hz as well as the tank frequency.  Filters usually imply that the attenuation is frequency-dependant.  We want a filter that attenuates high frequencies more-so than low frequencies - a low-pass filter.

2) Let's say that the HV winding L1 has an inductance of 1000 Henries.  If we put a 10 mH inductor L2 in series with this, the voltage seen by the HV winding is L1/(L1+L2):
1000 / (1000+.01) = 0.99999 of the unfiltered value.  No difference.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA