Re: [TCML] High Power Static Gaps

Sfxneon@xxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks Jim, that gets me to wondering, if at some point, pressure might work better than vacuum? Are there any more considerations than just overheating of the electrodes? I know that proper quenching is the real goal and keeping the electrode temperature as low as possible is essential for that, but could a single static gap quench at multi-kilowatt power levels if kept cool enough? Which brings to mind this question: Is there anything like a tungsten flat washer available anywhere? If so, how about brazing one on to the face of each copper cap electrode? Tony Greer

Yes.. if for no other reason than the pressure differential can be bigger.. a vacuum gap is limited to 15 psi-ish

The whole thing is a tradeoff between the ions staying in the area of the gap long enough for the spark to propagate across it and start conducting, or, blowing enough air through it to prevent a hot spot from developing and emitting enough electrons through thermionic emission to lead to premature ignition.