Re: [TCML] High Power Static Gaps

Hi Tony,

I've had those same thoughts from time to time. I think the main goals are to quench fast enough to help reduce power dissipation at the gap and to have enough thermal dissipation at the gap to stabilize the temperature for the power level. Pressure would alter the breakdown voltage, but in so doing, allows for slight variation of gap widths which may aid for heat dissipation and evacuation.

There is tungsten plate around. Just do an internet search. McMaster doesn't carry it, but other tungsten sources do.

I did try a tungsten static gap at one time. I used rod stock in a TCBOR design. Spacing between electrodes was large overall due to using a 40kV Trigger Gap. Performance was not good. I contributed three main causes: 1)solid body tungsten rod. 2)the trigger circuit itself. 3)I did not spend enough time fiddling with it.

Take care,
Bart

Sfxneon@xxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks Jim, that gets me to wondering, if at some point, pressure might work better than vacuum? Are there any more considerations than just overheating of the electrodes? I know that proper quenching is the real goal and keeping the electrode temperature as low as possible is essential for that, but could a single static gap quench at multi-kilowatt power levels if kept cool enough? Which brings to mind this question: Is there anything like a tungsten flat washer available anywhere? If so, how about brazing one on to the face of each copper cap electrode? Tony Greer
*************

Sfxneon@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi  All,
I'm curious about the spark lengths achieved by others using a single
static
vacuum aspirated gap, (I believe the one designed by Gary Lau if memory serves)? It uses a vacuum cleaner motor, PVC pipe and two large copper
tubing end
caps with  holes in the middle for the electrodes.
What are the limiting factors with this type of gap? Can it be scaled up
for
higher power? It's a beautifully simple and elegant design, without the
need
for any close tolerance machine work like with rotaries, and it's much
safer
too.