Re: [TCML] Could this be a breakout point?

Steve,

>From my recent experience with my new torroid, it largely depends on the
height of the torroid above the connection. Yours looks close enough to shield
the connection point and prevent breakout, but if it does there are some
changes  you could make to improve on your connection.

Just imagine that the path that the current takes is like a race track, and
you don't want to be slowed down by a lot of sharp curves and dead ends.
Avoid sharp turns and sharp edges with the wire and all hardware. It's a  good
idea to space wind the last few turns so that there is some space between  the
end of the coil wire and the turn below it. That way you will have room to
affix a terminal of some kind without having to make a right angle turn with the
coil wire.  Also avoid using anything that sticks out, like the nut and  bolt
you are using.

I made my connection by taking a piece of copper strap about an inch wide
and 4" long and trimming one end down to a 1/4" wide tab that will accept an
automotive type push-on connector. I drilled a few small holes in the copper
strap (for a better bite on the coil form when epoxied), rounded all  corners,
curved it to fit the coil form and glued it in place, all before  the coil was
wound. Then the top windings were space wound, bringing the last  turn
straight into the end of the strap. The wire was left long enough to  stretch it
tightly over the strap and solder it in place, then trimming off the  excess and
filing it smooth. I made the bottom termination the same way, but  drilled a
1/4" hole in the strap to attach the grounding wire with a nut and  bolt, since
there's practically no potential to ground at that  point.

Good Luck!

Tony Greer

In a message dated 9/7/2008 11:08:58 A.M. Central  Daylight Time,
shobley@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I made some changes to the secondary today - creating a  connection
terminal for the toroid.

http://www.stephenhobley.com/breakout.jpg

But does this look like  it might be creating an unwanted breakout point?

Steve