Re: [TCML] Jacob's Ladder - Off Topic

I'm not sure what the cap across the HV terminals will accomplish.  The discharge of said cap will make the JL louder--it will have a sharp "snappy" sound rather than the usual 60Hz buzz.  A cap across the HV outputs can also "ring up" to very high voltage, which may allow you to place your uprights farther apart.  This sort of thing can shorten NST life, however, so be careful.  I wonder what sort of cap can survive such a harsh dv/dt for more than a few minutes?  Even a transmitting doorknob cap will probably fail in short order, regardless of voltage rating.  If this is your first JL, I suggest you "go conventional" and leave off the cap.

I built a nice, small JL using a single outdoor-type 15/30 NST and 1/8" brass rod stock from the hardware store.  No cap across the terminals.  Performance is predictable and reliable.  Self-starts the first time every time. The unit is a real crowd pleaser for my electronics students.  I like to work in a JL demo at the beginning of my AC principles lecture as an attention-getter.  Looks fantastic with the classroom lights dimmed, and doesn't threaten nearby sensitive electronics as a small TC might.

Greg