RE: [TCML] Rectifying A Tesla Coil: Point-Plane Collector Experiments -works!

Ed,

You're right, I'm wondering on Antonio's input too.
There are two things that interest me with this with the test of the previous posting...

The first thing is that the output really can resemble an induction coil or static machine when things are set right... its close, but not quite exact yet.  (I'm like an induction coil with inverse current, maybe!)
[Those induction coil photos you sent are great!]

In the past, I have been able to replicate the sound and appearance of the sparks from a TC like a Holtz machine or static machine, but the one thing that lacked was the color differences of white and violet in the same spark.  In my previous tests, the sparks were thick and white, crackling, but still oscillatory.  The electrostatic effects that accompanied the early tests were vivid, but again they weren't exactly like those from a static machine.

The second thing that really interests me is the uniqueness of the sparks and effects when the whole concept is not rectifying properly.  I'll call this "chaotic" for lack of better words :), but the sparks start off bright white (and thick) at the surface of the spheres, but quickly turn violet (and thin) and branch outward into thick rich purple effluves/brush.  In the case a spark occurs, it isn't white on one side and violet on the other, but a "dashed line" of effects throughout.  Its like seeing striations in a geissler tube, only in a spark!

The next curious thing is to try the same effect with a different set of coils.  The first set of coils I tried for those posts (when operating with normal dischargers to see the sparks) would make sparks of the type mentioned above - they were thick, loud, crackling, but still oscillatory Tesla Coil sparks.  They were two Pancake Coils, 7" in diameter or so, around 350 turns each of 30 AWG, 2 1/2 turns heavy wire for the primary coils.

Very briefly before this email, I tried a similar test with two Pancake Coils that produce the phantom streamers.  These coils produce an abundance of thin sparks 1 - 6" long, depending on the setting of the gap.  The phantom streamers can extend outward independently of the sparks 6" from each ball terminal when the spark gap is wide open.  In the path of these Phantoms I placed the PVC pipe insulators with the two point-plane spheres.  On one of the discharge balls of the coil I put a thin cotton covered wire, so that one discharger had a point and the other was simply a 1 1/4" ball that acted as a small plane.  The latest test made some really interesting results so far.  The static effects were felt greatly at both spheres this time, and when sparks a few inches long were being drawn from one terminal to a piece of metal in your hand, electrostatic effects could be seen and felt for over a foot away from the other terminal.

I have some more Pancakes that produce large phantom streams.  Tommorrow I will try similar tests wth those and see what happens...

Jeff