Re: [TCML] Rectifying a Tesla coil

Kurt Schraner wrote:

Hi,

A cold elecrode tube device, essentially based on the "point and
plate" principle, is called "Villard Valve", see:
<snip>
Regards, Kurt

Ed Phillips wrote:

   Beautiful tube - any idea of the age and intended purpose?  Notice
the similarity to the Raytheon "B series" tubes - radically different
electrode geometry in an ionizing gas.  Seems to me I have a Stromberg
Carlson rectifier here which uses wires for one electrode and spirals
wound around them for the other.  Haven't seen it for years and may
not remember correctly.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I don't have any historical information about the tube. It was given to me by Mr. Jakob Kuster, who was also giving me the nice big induction coil "Big Utz", to be seen at:

http://twfpowerelectronics.com/~kurt/InductionCoils/Farm/InductorFarm.html

Jakob Kuster was a former scientist at EMPA (Eidgenoessische Material Prüfungs Anstalt), which can in part be compared to the US NIST. He was already >92 (and very sick) in 2003, when he gave me the stuff, in exchange to a simple electronic induction coil interruptor, residing in his bookshelf, in Ascona (Canton Ticino). Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to meet him in person, 'cause he felt too week, and I fear he has deceased now. We got the tube and induction coil in Zurich, at the place of his older(!) sister Elsa, who was yet teaching piano playing at the time...

The answer I wanted to give for the intended purpose was given inbetween by Frank, even better than I could have done it. Thank you Frank.

BTW: the size of the tube is 40cm x 40cm (~ 16" x 16").

Best regards, Kurt