RE: [TCML] Variac

If a cold lamp filament had too low a resistance to achieve the desired current limiting effect here, then that lamp would be tripping the breaker every time IT was switched on.

You really don't need much resistance at all to eliminate the nuisance tripping.  I noticed that the turn-on surge would only trip my breaker if the Variac was plugged in to a socket in close proximity to the breaker box.  If it was in a remote room or had an extension cord, it never tripped.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA