RE: [TCML] Variac

Hi Jay,

I also had the problem where often when I plugged in my 15A Variac, regardless of wiper setting or load, it would trip the 20A breaker.

I solved the problem by adding a NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) thermistor in series with the Variac line input.  A spec sheet for a family of NTC devices is at http://www.specsensors.com/pdfs/ntc_surge_current_limit.pdf.  The device I used has a 1 Ohm cold resistance, 0.015 Ohm hot resistance.   This small device solved the problem very neatly.  It basically does the same thing as the relay-switched series resistor suggested by Dave, just more compactly (and harder to find!).

If the problem is NOT due to the Variac turn-on surge, do you use PFC caps to minimize the NST current?

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA